Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas
2013 - May all your thread dreams be fulfilled this year

Thursday, September 1, 2011

I found a use for a few odd pieces

The other day I was trying to tidy up my craft room cupboards. At first I dreaded it, but after a while it got quite interesting..... Isn't it amazing, all the stuff one stashes somewhere and forgets about? It felt like Christmas :)

Anyway, I came accross some odd embroidery pieces and fabric and as I went along an idea formed in my head. (bad news for the tiding mission).
 When I get an idea for a new project, I cant wait to begin with it. So I stuffed everything back into the cupboards, (which oddly now seem to be a lot smaller than before), and got started.


 I made my first ever padded sling bag with an African theme.


I used cotton fabrics and  very thin batting as a filler.



The label was made with my computer, iron transfer sheets from HP and calico.
I cut the label out and stitched it onto a piece of felt which I then attached to the inside pocket of the bag.


I quilted the back of the bag in a lattice shape.




The shoulder straps are attached with some old handmade buttons.
The words South Africa where stitched onto a piece of felt in chain stitch. This piece of felt was stitched onto another and finally onto the front panel of the bag using blanket stitch.


Although this bag is far from perfect, I am very chuffed with the end result.
In fact it looks so nice that I am afraid to use it and it is now standing in the guest dining room curio cupboard.
Who knows, maybe some tourist will take a fancy to it and buy it as a reminder to their holiday
 in sunny South Africa?


Well, that's all from me today, keep smiling and enjoy your stitching.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Pin It button on image hover